2014 – September – Gannet XG882

The Gannet

Built in 1956, XG882 served at RNAS Culdrose with the station flight from 1959 and then 849 NAS for several years before being upgraded and returning to service in 1966 at RNAS Lossiemouth (still with 849 NAS). She was retired in 1976 and used as a fire practice airframe, but brought back from the dead in 1982 by being combined with bits of XA463 and XG889 to produce a complete example.

This fine and magnificent aircraft is left rotting in a field in Perthshire.